One of the most important things I would stress when dealing with legal matters is talking to a professional lawyer. Although lawyers may be expensive they really can save you from major complications down the road.
We were lucky enough years ago to find a solid entertainment lawyer that was willing to work with us when we were young and didn’t have a lot of money. To this day he is still our lawyer and still saving us from various issues that may arise.
Couple things to look for in a lawyer:
1. Is the the lawyer independent or in a firm?
2. Does the lawyer practice the type of law that my business is in (You may need to talk to multiple lawyers depending on different situations)?
3. Did you lawyer graduate from an accredited law school
4. Does the lawyer have a clean track record and solid reviews?
5. Does the lawyer charge for the initial visit?
These are some important questions to ask when hiring a lawyer. It’s important to lawyer up because you’ll never know what legal matters may arise down the road in this business.